Many children around the world are orphaned and vulnerable because they have lost their families due to poverty and other overwhelming hardships. Many children have never known the love of a mother or a father. It is estimated that 5 million orphaned and vulnerable children are currently in orphanages or children’s homes, separated from the love, sense of belonging and connections they so desperately need from their families.
Let us pray a litany of care and compassion for these children.
Response: Loving God show your care and compassion
- God of compassion, you said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” We lift up children living in orphanages for many years without having a contact with their parents or relatives.
- God of life, you came into the world to bring life in abundance. You inspire people around the globe to show your gift of abundant love and care to children separated from their families. As children thrive best in families, inspire all of us to create more opportunities for these children to be reunited with their families.
- Shepherd God, we lift up families that feel they have no other option than placing their children in orphanages. Inspire them to see the value of keeping their children at home and help us to provide them with the means to support their children.
- God of wisdom, we ask for your ongoing inspiration for everyone involved in the worldwide movement for care reform for children. Bless in a special way the religious who are part of the Catholic Care for Children movement. We ask you to bless our efforts with your grace of unity so that together with others–social workers, administrators and staff, benefactors, government and church officials–we can respond to your call.
- God of change, awaken more religious to adopt new approaches to their charism of care for children. Make all of us as an instrument of your love and care, advocating for the right of a child to have a family and working to strengthen families and communities in support of children.